National Homelessness Week: 3 – 8 August 2020
Homelessness Week is held in August each year and is coordinated nationally by Homelessness Australia. Throughout the week, a range of activities are held to raise awareness of people experiencing homelessness, the issues they face, and the action needed to achieve enduring solutions.
In light of COVID-19, this year’s activities will focus on media and social media advocacy. Our focus will be on the economic impacts of COVID-19, the implications for homelessness and the need for investment in social housing. This will be tied to the Everybody’s Home Campaign and the theme ‘Everybody needs a home’. During times of crisis, a home is absolutely essential in order to stay healthy and well. In a year of devastating bush fires, floods and the coronavirus pandemic, more and more Australians are in need of a safe place to call home.
How can you support Homelessness Week in the Northern Territory?
- Join – Join in on Homelessness Week by using the hashtag #HW2020
- Hold an event – check out the tips in this event kit and don’t forget to register your event in the Northern Territory by emailing [email protected]. Include the name of your event, the date, time, and location of your event, and a one paragraph description.
- Share/make noise – share your own and other’s stories about homelessness and what needs to be done to fix it.
- Change – During the week, people will be asked to contact their local MP and get them to sign a pledge supporting investment in social housing.
Homelessness Week 2020
- ‘About Homelessness Week 2020‘ feature in the NT News.
Homelessness Week 2019