There are plenty of ways you can help. You can support people without homes by donating, fundraising at school, work, or with friends, volunteering to help community organisations that help the homeless, providing input into our work, sharing your story to encourage and support others in our online community or writing to your local politician to advocate for those without adequate housing.
Here are 8 ways that you can get involved:
1. Volunteer your professional services –Your time will not be wasted.
2. Subscribe to THE BIG ISSUE – Help employ women experiencing
homelessness. You can subscribe here.
3. Respect the homeless as individuals – Give people experiencing homelessness the same courtesy and respect you accord your friends, family or employer. Treat them as you would like to be treated if you needed help.
4. Respond with kindness – We can make quite a difference in the lives of people experiencing homelessness when we respond to them, rather than ignore or dismiss them. Try a kind word and a smile.
5. Sign up your company/school – Ask your company or school to host fund-raising events and donate the proceeds to non-profit organisations working in the housing and homelessness sector.
6. Share our Shelter Me website – Shelter Me is a comprehensive online listing of NT non-government agencies that can provide assistance to people experiencing or at risk of homelessness. It’s a great easy to access data base for everyone to use. Visit here.
7. Donate to an organization providing homelessness services – Every day Homeless Services are forced to turn people away because they lack the resources, funding and capacity to provide enough support to meet demand.
8. Join the campaign to end homelessness – Join the Everybody’s Home campaign by signing their petition. Sign here.